History: Panthers vs. Eagles
- Carolina is 5-7 all-time against Philadelphia, posting a 2-3 record at home all-time.
- Current Streak: Panthers W1
- Last matchup: Carolina won 21-17 in Philadelphia in 2018, overcoming a 17-0 deficit in the fourth quarter
- Six of the last nine matchups have come in primetime
- A number of Eagles players are originally from the Carolinas, including J.J. Arcega-Whiteside (Roebuck, S.C.), Landon Dickerson (Hudson, N.C.), Javon Hargrave (Salisbury, N.C.), Brett Toth (Charleston, S.C.), Tarron Jackson (Aiken, S.C.) and Mac McCain (Greensboro, N.C.)
Philadelphia (1-3) comes to Charlotte on the heels of a three-game losing streak. The Eagles knocked off Atlanta in the season opener, but have since fallen to the 49ers, Cowboys and Chiefs with tough matchups against Carolina, Tampa Bay and Las Vegas upcoming. Philadelphia will certainly be trying to find a much-needed win this weekend and stay competitive in the NFC East.
Jalen Hurts has led an offensive effort that statistically seems better than the team's 1-3 record. Philadelphia is eighth in net passing yards (274.8), 12th in fewest sacks (8) and 11th in third down conversions. Hurts has only thrown two interceptions against seven passing touchdowns, tied for the fourth-fewest picks thrown by qualified quarterbacks this year. He threw for 387 yards and rushed for 47 more with two touchdowns and no interceptions Sunday against Kansas City.
One of the main offensive storylines for Philadelphia this season has been the connection between former Alabama teammates Hurts and wide receiver DeVonta Smith, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner. Smith recorded his first 100-yard receiving game on Sunday with seven catches. He had averaged just 38.3 yards per game in the first three games.
|Total Yards/Game||387.5 (13th)||397.5 (8th)|
|Rushing Yards/Game||107.5 (t-16th)||122.8 (t-9th)|
|Net Passing Yards/Game||280.0 (8th)||274.8 (9th)|
|Sacks Allowed||11 (t-23rd)||8 (t-12th)|
|Third Down Efficiency||39.6 (18th)||42.9 (10th)|
|Points/Game||24.3 (13th)||23.5 (t-17th)|
|Total Yards/Game||251.5 (3rd)||354.3 (14th)|
|Rushing Yards/Game||95.0 (10th)||150.3 (31st)|
|Passing Yards/Game||156.5 (2nd)||204.0 (7th)|
|Sacks||14 (t-1st)||8 (t-19th)|
|Third Down Efficiency||23.8 (1st)||48.0 (27th)|
|Takeaways||3 (t-21st)||2 (25th)|
|Points Allowed/Game||16.5 (3rd)||26.5 (24th)|
Stat Nuggets To Know
- Carolina has led at halftime in every game this season, posting an overall point differential of +35 at halftime, second-best in the NFL.
- The Panthers are averaging 34:48 in time of possession, currently best in the NFL.
- Carolina is one of five teams with at least 100.0 rushing yards and 280.0 passing yards per game as 157 offensive plays have gone through the air and 117 on the ground.
- Carolina has 16 pass plays of 20+ yards, sixth-best in the NFL. Panthers players have averaged 6.1 yards after catch this season, ranking seventh-best in the league.
- Defensively, the Panthers rank third in yards allowed (251.5), tied for first in sacks (14), first in third down efficiency (23.8) and third in points allowed (16.5).
- Carolina has held opponents to scores in just 25 percent of drives (3rd) and forced punts in 52.3 percent of drives (2nd). 36.4 percent of opponents drives have been three-and-outs (t-4th).
- The pass rush has recorded a sack, pressure or QB hit on 11.1 percent of opponents' pass plays, the highest percentage in the NFL.
- Quarterback Sam Darnold leads the NFL with five rushing touchdowns, the most by any QB through the first four games of an NFL season. He has thrown for over 300 yards in three consecutive games, the longest such streak in franchise history and the longest active streak in the NFL right now.
- Wide receiver DJ Moore is tied for second in the NFL with 30 receptions and ranks fourth with 398 receiving yards. His 155 yards after the catch are also fourth. Since 2019, he has averaged 15.1 yards per catch, third-most by qualified players in the NFL in that span.
- Linebacker Haason Reddick is tied for sixth in the NFL with 4.5 sacks. In 2020 and 2021, Reddick has six strip-sacks (1st) and 17.0 total sacks (3rd).
- Defensive end Brian Burns has 3.0 sacks this season and 19.5 career sacks, trailing only Julius Peppers (21.0) for the most sacks through a players's first 33 career games.
- Cornerback Donte Jackson is second on the team with 17 tackles and ranks second in career interceptions (10) among players in his 2018 draft class.
Milestones in Reach
- Needs two rushing touchdowns to become first QB in NFL history with multiple rushing TDs in three consecutive games
- Needs 300+ passing yards to extend his streak of games to four with 300+, the longest active streak in the NFL
- Needs seven receptions to pass Robby Anderson (36, 2020) for most catches in first five games of a season
- Needs four receiving first downs to pass Greg Olsen (24, 2016) for most rec first downs in first five games since stat was recorded in 2000
- Needs 349 receiving yards to pass Wesley Walls (3,902) for fourth place in Panthers history.
- Needs 1.5 sacks to pass Kris Jenkins (20.5) for seventh among defensive linemen in Panthers history
- Needs 10 tackles to pass Chris Gamble (493) for fifth all time in Panthers history.
- Needs five interceptions to pass Richard Marshall/Doug Evans (14) for fifth all-time in franchise history
- Needs 24 tackles to pass Will Witherspoon (157) for the most tackles in the first two seasons by a non-middle linebacker.
Carolina is 5-7 all-time against Philadelphia, including record-setting fourth-quarter comeback in 2018 and a win in the 2003 NFC Championship game.