Carolina has a quick turnaround before playing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at home on Thursday Night Football at 8:20. Here are some matchup notes, statistics to know, the Next Gen Stat of the Week and team connections for Thursday's game.
- Carolina is 23-14 all-time against the Buccaneers, winning three of the last four and five of the last six at home in the series.
- The Panthers are 3-7 all-time on Thursday night games, but have found success against Tampa Bay in primetime, going 3-1 on Monday and Thursday nights.
- Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston went 20-of-36 for 194 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions in Tampa Bay's season-opening loss to San Francisco. Chris Godwin led the team in receiving with 53 yards and one touchdown.
- Panthers quarterback Cam Newton has posted a career passer rating of 92.8 and 225.3 passing yards per game against the Buccaneers, sporting a record of 9-4. He has scored 29 total touchdowns (20 passing, 9 rushing) against the Bucs, his most against any opponent.
- Thursday will be the first game for new Panther Gerald McCoy against his former team. McCoy totaled 54.5 sacks in nine seasons with Tampa Bay, third-most in Bucs history.
- Last season, Curtis Samuel had a rushing and receiving touchdown at home against the Buccaneers, becoming just the third wide receiver in Panthers history (Steve Smith, Keyshawn Johnson) to achieve the feat in the same game.
|Total Yards/Game||343.0 (18th)||295.0 (21st)|
|Rushing Yards/Game||127.0 (7th)||121.0 (11th)|
|Passing Yards/Game||239.0 (18th)||194.0 (22nd)|
|Sacks Allowed||3 (t-15th)||3 (t-15th)|
|Third Down Efficiency||45.5 (t-12th)||45.5 (t-12th)|
|Points/Game||27.0 (t-11th)||17.0 (t-19th)|
|Total Yards/Game||349.0 (14th)||256.0 (6th)|
|Rushing Yards/Game||166.0 (25th)||98.0 (12th)|
|Passing Yards/Game||183.0 (9th)||158.0 (3rd)|
|Sacks||1 (t-16th)||1 (t-16th)|
|Third Down Efficiency||52.9 (23rd)||38.5 (t-11th)|
|Points/Game||30.0 (t-20th)||31.0 (22nd)|
Next Gen Stats
According to Next Gen Stats, Christian McCaffrey was second among all running backs in lowest time behind the line of scrimmage.
McCaffrey averaged just 2.35 seconds behind the line of scrimmage. Last season, he averaged 2.75 seconds behind the line and it was 2.86 seconds in 2017.
Through one game, McCaffrey also ranked third in the NFL in efficiency, a metric that measures total distance traveled divided by rushing yards gained and essentially designates a good north-south runner. McCaffrey traveled 310 total yards over the field for 128 official rushing yards, posting an efficiency rating of 2.42.
Stat Nuggets To Know
- Last week, McCaffrey rushed for 128 yards and made 10 receptions for 81 yards. It marked the second time in his career that he posted a game with over 120 rushing yards and 10 or more receptions. He is the only NFL player in the Super Bowl era to post two such games in a career.
- The performance marked McCaffrey's fifth career game with 10 or more receptions. LaDainian Tomlinson (6) is the only running back with more such games since 2000.
- McCaffrey has 22 total touchdowns (11 rushing, 11 receiving) since 2017. That mark ties for eighth in the NFL overall and fifth among running backs since 2017.
- Carolina's 343 net yards on offense were the second-most by the Panthers in Week 1 since 2011.
- James Bradberry became just the eighth defensive back in franchise history to record an interception and a sack in the same game after doing so in Week 1.
- McCaffrey (1,599) needs 23 receiving yards to pass DeAngelo Williams (1,621) for the most career receiving yards ever by a Panthers running back.
- McCaffrey (3,260) also needs 83 yards from scrimmage to pass Williams (3,342) for the most scrimmage yards by any Panther in his first three seasons.
- According to press box stats, Kuechly (956) needs 44 tackles to reach 1,000 for his career. He also needs 11 tackles to pass Brian Urlacher (966) for the most through a player's first eight seasons in NFL history.
Carolina is 23-14 all-time against Tampa Bay.
Notable Panthers-Buccaneers Connections
- Carolina DT Gerald McCoy spent nine seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2010-18.
- Carolina CB Javien Elliott played with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2016-18 and collegiately at Florida State (2014-15) with Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston in 2014 and WR Bobo Wilson in 2014-15.
- Carolina LB/DE Mario Addison was a member of the Indianapolis Colts in 2012 under Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians.
- Buccaneers inside linebackers Coach Mike Caldwell played linebacker in 2003 for the Panthers.
- Buccaneers quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen coached at Clemson from 1994-95, South Carolina in 1991 and at East Carolina from 1986-1988. He also spent two seasons as a quarterback at North Carolina in 1977-78.
- Panthers CB Ross Cockrell and Buccaneers T Gerald Hawkins were teammates on the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2016.
- Panthers S Tre Boston and Buccaneers LB/S Deone Bucannon were members of the 2018 Arizona Cardinals.
- Panthers C Matt Paradis and Buccaneers OLB Shaquil Barrett were teammates on the Denver Broncos from 2015-18.
- Panthers DT Dontari Poe and Buccaneers DL Rakeem Nunez-Roches played for the Kansas City Chiefs from 2015-16.
- Carolina S Eric Reid and Buccaneers QB Blaine Gabbert were members of the 2014-16 San Francisco 49ers along with P Bradley Pinion from 2015-17.
- Buccaneers G Zack Bailey played collegiately at South Carolina (2015-18) with Carolina T Dennis Daley (2017-18). He attended Summerville High School in Summerville, S.C.
- Buccaneers P Bradley Pinion played collegiately at Clemson (2012-14), is from Concord, N.C. where he attended Northwest Cabarrus High School and earned USA Today High School All-American honors.
- Buccaneers S Darian Stewart played collegiately at South Carolina from 2006-09.
- Carolina rookie LB/DE Brian Burns played collegiately at Florida State (2016-18) with Buccaneers WR Bobo Wilson in 2016 and attended American Heritage High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Carolina TE Greg Olsen played collegiately at Miami (Fla.) from 2004-06.
- Carolina RB Jordan Scarlett played collegiately at Florida (2016-18) and attended St. Thomas Aquinas HS in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Carolina QB Cam Newton played collegiately at Florida (2007-08).
- Carolina CB Tre Boston attended North Fort Myers HS in North Fort Myers, Fla.
- Carolina WR Ray-Ray McCloud attended Sickles HS in Tampa, Fla.
- Carolina LB Andre Smith attended Trinity Christian Academy in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Carolina LB/DE Marquis Haynes attended University Christian High School in Jacksonville, Fla.
- Carolina DB Natrell Jamerson attended Vanguard HS in Ocala, Fla.
- Carolina P Michael Palardy attended St. Thomas Aquinas HS in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.