2019 PurrCussion Auditions
Carolina Panthers drumline—PurrCussion—is an exciting, high-energy ensemble, providing entertainment for the fans at every home game and around the community. Made up of snare, tenor, bass, and cymbal players, PurrCussion performs pre-game around the stadium grounds, on-field for player introductions, and in-bowl throughout the game as well as at charitable and corporate events, parades, and more. Don’t miss your chance to be part of the energy that helps create the exhilarating atmosphere for fans at Bank of America Stadium and across the Carolinas!
2019 PurrCussion Auditions
Open Rehearsals (Strongly Encouraged)
Date | Time | Focus
- Mon, May 6th | 6:00pm – 9:00pm | Snare Focus
- Tues, May 7th | 6:00pm – 9:00pm | Tenor Focus
- Wed, May 8th | 6:00pm – 9:00pm | Bass Focus
- Thurs, May 9th | 6:00pm – 9:00pm | Cymbal Focus
Audition Dates (All dates mandatory)
Date | Time | Event
- Sat, May 11th | 12:00pm – 5:00pm | Preliminaries – Judges Panel
- Tues, May 14th | 9:00am – until | In-Person Interviews
- Sat, May 18th | 12:00pm – 3:00pm | Appearance Audition
- Mon, May 20th | 6:00pm – 9:00pm | Finals Rehearsal
- Wed, May 22nd | 6:00pm – 10:00pm | Finals – Judges Panel
All above dates will be held at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C. Please enter Bank of America Stadium off of Morehead Street into Lot 4. Once parked, follow signs to audition entrance.
Open Rehearsals – Candidates are strongly encouraged to attend the open rehearsal date(s) for any instrument(s) for which they are interested in auditioning. Participants are welcome and encouraged to attend more than one rehearsal and audition for more than one instrument. Check-in begins 15 minutes prior to the start of the open rehearsal. Open rehearsals will begin with a technical warm-up, and then candidates will be taught piece(s) of music by PurrCussion staff. Candidates will be evaluated during preliminaries on their knowledge and performance of the music taught at the open rehearsal(s).
Preliminaries – Preliminaries are a mandatory audition date. Preliminaries will consist of a performance of pieces taught during open rehearsals before a panel of judges with additional exercises to showcase the overall musicianship, presentation and showmanship of each candidate.
Finals – All finals dates are mandatory. Finals will consist of an in-person interview with PurrCussion staff, an appearance audition out in the community, a rehearsal to practice music and review the responsibilities of being a PurrCussion drumline member, and a finals audition in front of a panel of judges.
*Please note: all audition dates are CLOSED to the public. Only candidates auditioning will be allowed inside the stadium. No video cameras are permitted.*
- All candidates must be at least 21 years old by May 22nd, 2019.
- All candidates must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- All candidates must pass a pre-employment and periodic drug screen as well as satisfactorily complete a criminal and civil background check, including driving history.
- Those selected must be available to practice Tuesday and Sunday evenings beginning in June and appear at all Panthers home games as well as community events and appearances throughout the year.
- Please note this is a part-time position that drumline members hold in addition to their regular work or college schedules.
- The Carolina Panthers are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates should wear attire suitable and comfortable for performances—Panthers colors are highly encouraged!
What To Bring
A government-issued ID is required for Open Rehearsals and Auditions. Drums and cymbals will be provided, but candidates should bring sticks and a practice pad. Additionally, concession stands will not be open. Candidates should supply their own snacks and beverages.
Question: What does it take to become a member of PurrCussion?
Answer: Musicianship, enthusiasm and energy, showmanship and personality, professionalism, commitment, and a positive, team-player attitude
Question: Is being a PurrCussion member a full-time job?
Answer: No. Being a PurrCussion member is a part-time commitment. Most members hold other full-time jobs or attend college.
Question: Do I have to relocate to the Charlotte area if selected to join PurrCussion?
Answer: No! We are proud to have PurrCussionists living across North and South Carolina.
Question: Is there an age requirement?
Answer: Yes. All candidates must meet the minimum age requirement, which is 21 years old, by May 22nd, 2019. There is no maximum age limit.
Question: Is there a cost to audition?
Answer: Yes. There is a non-refundable registration fee of $10.
Question: If I only want to come to Open Rehearsal(s) and not Auditions, do I still have to pay a registration fee?
Answer: Yes. The one-time fee applies to anyone coming to Open Rehearsal(s) and/or Auditions.
Question: If I make the drumline, what type of commitment is required?
Answer: This year’s PurrCussion drumline is a 9-month commitment from June through February, which includes mandatory rehearsals and performances at all Panthers home games as well as charitable and corporate appearances throughout the year.
If you have any additional questions, please call Kelly Ballance at 704-358-7420.
Completion of the registration form is required to audition for PurrCussion. There is a non-refundable $10 registration fee to audition. The deadline to register is Thursday, May 9th by 5p.m. Day of walk-up registration is $15, and at this time, we can only accept cash as a form of payment.