CHARLOTTE – The Panthers (0-4, 0-2 NFC South) are on the road in Week 5.
Carolina plays the Detroit Lions (3-1, 1-0 NFC North) at 1 p.m. ET on Sunday at Ford Field.
Scroll below for more information on the matchup, series history, and stats comparison.
History: Panthers vs. Lions
- Carolina and Detroit have played 11 times. The Panthers lead the series 8-3. | Series history
- The Panthers won their last matchup with the Lions, 37-23, at Bank of America Stadium in 2022.
- The series is tied, 2-2, when played at Detroit in the regular season.
|Total Yards Per Game||282.5 (25th)||386.3 (3rd)|
|Rushing Yards Per Game||95.3 (22nd)||136.5 (10th)|
|Rushing Yards Per Attempt||4.0 (21st)||4.0 (19th)|
|Passing Net Yards Per Game||187.3 (23rd)||249.8 (8th)|
|Sacks Allowed||14 (25th)||5 (t-3rd)|
|Third Down Efficiency||39.3 (13th)||38.6 (17th)|
|Points Per Game||15.0 (26th)||24.8 (7th)|
|Total Yards Allowed Per Game||313.0 (14th)||280.5 (4th)|
|Rushing Yards Per Game||136.3 (27th)||60.8 (1st)|
|Rushing Yards Per Attempt||4.7 (29th)||3.0 (2nd)|
|Passing Net Yards Per Game||176.8 (6th)||219.8 (18th)|
|Sacks||12 (t-11th)||13 (t-7th)|
|Takeaways||4 (t-20th)||4 (t-20th)|
|Third Down Efficiency||27.7 (3rd)||34.0 (11th)|
|Points Allowed Per Game||25.5 (t-25th)||20.8 (13th)|
Statistical milestones to watch in 2023
- Outside linebacker Brian Burns (41.0) needs one sack to pass Kevin Greene (41.5) for fifth all-time in Panther history.
- Burns (48) needs two tackles for loss to pass Mario Addison (49) for sixth all-time in Panther history.
- Outside linebacker Justin Houston (112.0) needs 1.5 sacks to pass Sean Jones (113.0) for 25th all-time in league history.
- Houston (131) needs two tackles for loss to pass Michael Bennett (132) for eighth all-time in league history.
- Wide receiver Adam Thielen (561) needs 39 receptions to become the fifth undrafted player in the common draft era with at least 600 career receptions.
- Defensive end Derrick Brown (165) needs six total tackles to pass Brentson Buckner (170) for ninth all-time in Panther history for defensive linemen.
- Punter Johnny Hekker (337) needs six punts downed inside the 20-yard line to pass Brad Maynard (342) for eighth all-time in league history.
- Tackle Taylor Moton has played in 102 consecutive games and counting as a Carolina Panther. His streak ranks fourth in franchise history.
- Carolina hits the road in Week 5, traveling to take on the NFC North-leading Detroit Lions. This will mark the Panthers' second of four matchups against NFC North opponents. Carolina has a 20-23 mark against the NFC North in its team history.
- This will mark the 12th matchup between the Panthers and Lions with Carolina leading the series 8-3. The series in Detroit is even at 2-2.
- The last game between Carolina and Detroit was Dec. 24, 2022, at Bank of America Stadium, and resulted in a 37-23 Panthers win. Carolina set franchise records with 570 yards of total offense and 320 yards rushing.
- The Lions enter the week looking for their third consecutive victory after defeating the Green Bay Packers on Thursday Night Football, 34-20.
- Carolina enters the week with an 0-4 record after falling to the Minnesota Vikings, 21-13, in Week 4.
Carolina leads the all-time series with Detroit, 7-3.