SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Panthers' first unofficial depth chart was released on Monday, four days ahead of the team's preseason opener against the Buffalo Bills.
Of course, as an "unofficial" depth chart, it is very much subject to change based on what happens through the rest of training camp and during the four preseason contests.
The ordering on a preseason depth chart and the distribution of practice reps don't always match up. That's part of what makes it difficult to glean too much from either.
With that in mind, here are some notes of interest:
- Wide receiver Corey Brown is listed as a starter opposite Kelvin Benjamin. Brown, one of the players who made a big jump in the offseason, has been working with the first team throughout camp.
- Second-round draft choice Devin Funchess is listed on the third tier. The rookie, who plays all three wide receiver positions, has seen first-team action throughout camp and will continue to see it during the preseason.
- Rookie running back Cameron Artis-Payne is listed as the fourth running back despite taking a significant amount of reps with the second team.
- Frank Alexander is listed as the starter at defensive end opposite Charles Johnson. Head coach Ron Rivera said that spot would be rotated frequently during training camp.
- The first-team secondary appears as you would expect, but the battle for the starting free safety spot between Tre Boston and Kurt Coleman is one to keep an eye on.
View the top photos from the ninth practice of training camp at Wofford College.