After a long weekend because of Thursday Night Football, Carolina (0-2) travels to Arizona (0-1-1) for the Panthers first road game of the season.
- Carolina is 11-5 all-time against Arizona, including a 4-2 record on the road.
- The Panthers have gone 2-1 against the Cardinals in the playoffs all-time, including a win in the 2015 NFC Championship game.
- Arizona's passing game has ranked fourth in the NFL with 328.5 yards per game, while Carolina's passing defense ranks third, allowing just 186.0 passing yards per game.
- Cardinals rookie quarterback Kyler Murray has gone 54-of-94 (57.4 percent) for 657 passing yards and two touchdowns and one interception. However, he's also been sacked eight times and pressured 14 times, tied for fourth-most pressures in the NFL.
- The Cardinals defense is 31st in the league in net yards allowed (458.3), as the team has allowed 149.0 rushing yards and 309.5 passing yards per game.
|Total Yards/Game||347.5 (19th)||368.0 (12th)|
|Rushing Yards/Game||83.0 (24th)||66.0 (27th)|
|Passing Yards/Game||286.0 (14th)||328.5 (4th)|
|Sacks Allowed||6 (t-22nd)||8 (t-25th)|
|Third Down Efficiency||32.0 (t-21st)||33.3 (t-19th)|
|Points/Game||20.5 (t-15th)||22.0 (t-12th)|
|Total Yards/Game||319.0 (12th)||458.5 (31st)|
|Rushing Yards/Game||133.0 (25th)||149.0 (29th)|
|Passing Yards/Game||186.0 (3rd)||309.5 (27th)|
|Sacks||4 (t-19th)||5 (t-13th)|
|Third Down Efficiency||37.9 (14th)||40.6 (17th)|
|Points/Game||25.0 (t-23rd)||25.0 (t-23rd)|
Stat Nuggets To Know
- Luke Kuechly leads the Panthers with 25 tackles, tied for second-most in the NFL. Last week, he had 17 tackles against the Buccaneers, his second-most in a game in his career. That moved him (973) past Brian Urlacher (966) for the most tackles by a player in his first eight seasons in NFL history.
- Last week, Greg Olsen posted 110 receiving yards, moving him into fifth place all-time among NFL tight ends with 7,993 receiving yards. It marked Olsen's 11th career 100-yard receiving game. Among active tight ends, only Jason Witten, Jimmy Graham and Travis Kelce have more.
- DJ Moore has a team-high 165 receiving yards on 16 receptions, tied for the fifth-most catches in the NFL.
- After missing his first field goal attempt of the year, Joey Slye has gone 6-for-6, including three from beyond 50 yards. Slye currently leads the NFL with three field goals over 50 yards.
- McCaffrey (1,615) needs seven receiving yards to pass DeAngelo Williams (1,621) for the most career receiving yards ever by a Panthers running back.
- McCaffrey (3,313) also needs 30 yards from scrimmage to pass Williams (3,342) for the most scrimmage yards by any Panther in his first three seasons.
- According to press box stats, Kuechly (973) needs 27 tackles to 1,000 for his career. He would be the first player in NFL history with 1,000 tackles in his first eight seasons.
- Moore (16) needs eight receptions to pass Steve Smith (23) for the most catches by any Panther through the first three games of a season. Smith did it in 2005.
Carolina is 12-5 all-time against the Cardinals, including a 2-1 record in the playoffs.
Notable Panthers-Cardinals Connections
- Panthers S Tre Boston played in 14 games for Arizona during the 2018 season where he produced a team-high nine pass deflections, three interceptions and 78 tackles.
- Cardinals WR Damiere Byrd played for Carolina 2016-18 and was a member of the practice squad in 2015, registering a team-record 103-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and 12 catches for 129 yards. Byrd also played for the South Carolina Gamecocks from 2011-14.
- Cardinals P Andy Lee spent the 2016 season on the Panthers roster where he played in nine games with a 49.1-yard average. He attended West Oak HS in Westminster, SC and earned a master's degree in Business Administration from UNC
- Panthers LT Greg Little and Cardinals QB Kyler Murray were high school teammates at Allen High School (Allen, Texas) where they won two state championships in 2013 and 2014.
- Cardinals offensive assistant/assistant QBs coach Cam Turner spent time with the Panthers from 2015-17 as assistant WRs and assistant QBs coach. He is the nephew of Panthers offensive coordinator Norv Turner and cousin of Panthers QBs coach Scott Turner.
- Panthers QB Kyle Allen, Cardinals QB Kyler Murray and Cardinals WR Christian Kirk spent one year together at Texas A&M in 2015.
- Panthers LB Shaq Thompson and Cardinals S Budda Baker spent one season together at Washington in 2014.
- Panthers LB/DE Christian Miller and Cardinals S Deionte Thompson played for Alabama in 2018.
- Panthers QB Kyle Allen attended Desert Mountain HS in Scottsdale, Ariz. He threw more than 8,000 yards and 86 touchdowns during his tenure there, earning the distinction of the nation's top quarterback by ESPN, Rivals, Scout and 247Sports.
- Panthers LS JJ Jansen is originally from Phoenix, Ariz.
- Cardinals DT Miles Brown played at Wofford College from 2015-18.
- Cardinals DE Jonathan Bullard played at Crest Senior High School in Shelby, N.C.
- Cardinals C Lamont Gaillard attended Pine Forest HS in Fayetteville, N.C.