CHARLOTTE - The Carolina Panthers (1-5) return home and return to NFC South action with a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-3) on Sunday at 1 p.m. at Bank of America Stadium.
Scroll below for more information on the Week 7 matchup, team connections, series history and stats comparison, presented by Amazon Next Gen Stats.
History: Panthers vs. Buccaneers
- Carolina is 24-19 all-time against the Bucs | Series History
- Current Streak: Buccaneers W4
- Carolina's last home win against Tampa Bay came in November of 2018
- A number of Panthers are originally from Florida, including Brian Burns, Sam Franklin Jr., Marquis Haynes Sr., CJ Henderson and Eddy Piñeiro.
- Buccaneers general manager Jason Licht was previously a scout for the Panthers in 1998.
- Several Bucs players have ties to the Carolinas including Giovani Bernard (UNC), Ryan Succop (S. Carolina), Dee Delaney (Beaufort, S.C.) and Nick Leverett (Salisbury, N.C.).
|Total Yards/Game||260.0 (32nd)||332.0 (21st)|
|Rushing Yards/Game||90.3 (26th)||67.5 (32nd)|
|Net Passing Yards/Game||169.7 (29th)||264.5 (6th)|
|Sacks Allowed||19 (t-25th)||9 (t-3rd)|
|Third Down Efficiency||23.6 (32nd)||37.8 (22nd)|
|Points/Game||17.2 (t-27th)||20.2 (20th)|
|Total Yards/Game||356.8 (21st)||302.5 (7th)|
|Rushing Yards/Game||133.3 (26th)||109.2 (14th)|
|Passing Yards/Game||223.5 (17th)||193.3 (7th)|
|Sacks||9 (t-28th)||21 (3rd)|
|Third Down Efficiency||43.2 (23rd)||42.7 (22nd)|
|Takeaways||6 (t-23rd)||9 (t-10th)|
|Points Allowed/Game||24.3 (t-23rd)||17.2 (5th)|
Notes and Trends
Most of the yards
- In Week 6, Christian McCaffrey accounted for 158 of the team's 212 scrimmage yards at LA. That percentage of 74.5 was the highest by a player of his team's scrimmage yards since Week 11 of 2003 (Warrick Dunn, 74.6).
- McCaffrey has 670 scrimmage yards this season, ranking fourth in the NFL.
- The Panthers scored their NFL-best third defensive touchdown of the season in Week 6, when Donte Jackson returned an interception back for six.
- The franchise record for defensive TDs is four, set in 2013 and 2015.
Brown putting together banner season
- Derrick Brown had a career-high seven tackles and a half-sack against the Rams.
- This season, he leads all defensive linemen with six passes defended, while his PFF grade of 89.9 ranks fourth among qualified defensive tackles.
Ekwonu stringing together dominant performances
- Over the last two weeks, Ikem Ekwonu has posted an overall blocking grade of 75.8, tops among rookie tackles in the NFL.
- He and Taylor Moton had pass block efficiency ratings of 99.3, tied for fourth among offensive tackles in the last two weeks.
- As a team, Carolina's pass blocking grade of 69.2 ranks seventh in the NFL this season.
Special teams strength
- The Panthers rank fourth in the NFL with a total PFF special teams grade of 91.1.
- This season, Carolina has blocked two field goals, ranks fourth with a FG made percentage of 92.3, ranks third with a net punting average of 44.9 and leads the league with 450 kick return yards.
2022 Statistical Milestones to Watch
- DJ Moore (321) needs four receptions to pass Wesley Walls (324) for fifth-most in franchise history.
- Christian McCaffrey (50) needs one scrimmage TD to break a tie with Muhsin Muhammad (50) and move into fifth place in franchise history.
- Brian Burns (29.5) needs 3.0 sacks to tie Kawann Short (32.5) for seventh place in franchise history in career sacks.
- Derrick Brown (14) needs four pass deflections to tie Julius Peppers (18) for the most by a Panthers defensive lineman in his first three seasons.
- Shaq Thompson needs 61 tackles for his fourth consecutive season with at least 100 tackles. That would tie Jon Beason (4 straight) for third-most behind Thomas Davis (5 straight) and Luke Kuechly (8 straight).
- Donte Jackson (13) needs one interception to tie Doug Evans and Richard Marshall for fifth in franchise history.
- JJ Jansen (215) needs six games played to tie John Kasay (221) for most in Panthers franchise history.
Carolina is 25-19 all-time against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, posting a 13-10 record at home and 12-9 on the road.